Saturday, February 24, 2007

Ignorance

...more specifically, mine.

I was thinking today about how much I don't know, and not just about Gnosticism. What I don't know about Gnosticism alone could probably fill a library. A big library. What is important is that I desire to learn, to know more.

So far, most of what I know about Gnosticism has been from sources on the internet. There truly are some very good places on the internet to learn about gnosis, gnosticism, and Gnosticism (yes, there is a difference between the big G and little g), some of which will soon be in the links section of the sidebar. The downside to the internet is that there are also a lot of bad sources of information. Thankfully I have a discerning eye for what probably is and probably isn't worth the effort, if only because I've seen so much of the "probably isn't".

I was reading the blog (this would be a "probably is") of a certain Gnostic today. As I read all of the references to ideas, people, and issues that I had no knowledge of, I felt ignorant. There is so much I don't know, but so much I want to understand. This excites me.

On the other hand, considering all that I don't know, it's the barely-scratched-the-surface bits I do know that assure me of where I am. I have spent years seeking, not always sincerely, to get to this point. Once I knew of gnosis, once I understood what was behind the curtain so to speak, I knew that my perception would never be the same.

That knowledge was life-changing, but it isn't enough to simply know it. I must explore that knowledge and ponder it so that I may try to understand it. Ignorance in and of itself isn't a bad thing. It's in the non-questioning where one errs.

1 comment:

  1. This is very well put. You have a very positive way of describing the process to gnosis.

    Donald Donato
    maudlinacre.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete