Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Nouveau

[insert "it's been a while since I last posted blah blah blah" excuse here]

I was just lazy and not very inspired. Moving on!

Over the last several weeks I've been thinking about a lot of things, most recently my old foray into witchcraft. I was drawn to really rethink my opinion on the value of witchcraft practices for my own personal journey.

You see, some years ago along my spiritual path I encountered witchcraft, specficially, Wicca. It was probably around 98 or 99 when I was still in my late teens. Wicca had really caught on by then, but it was still in the early stages of the mass-produced paperback experience that it can be today. I will admit to buying some of those paperbacks, and even learning from them, although they never filled my spiritual cup.

At some point, about three or four years ago, I came to the conclusion that Wicca (and witchcraft as a whole) was not what I was looking for. I valued the beauty that can be found in the poetry of spellcraft, and the creative licence witchcraft allows, as it can be a liberating and free-spirited process, but I put it behind me. It just wasn't my cup of tea, I thought, and it wasn't where I was going to find that which would ultimately nourish me.

Recently I have been given to rethink that, and to consider "the craft" as it might relate to my gnosis, and to Gnosticism. I have come to the conclusion that while I can never see myself embracing Wicca again, at least personally, witchcraft still has a beauty and breath to it that enlightens. There is, pardon the pun, a certain magic to it that I am still drawn to.

I am considering adding some craft practices to my praxis, or simply in the form of the occasional ritual or observance. Candle magic also holds a particular interest for me as it is simple, yet ancient, and I can't resist the connection of the light of the flame to the inner-light within us all.

Ultimately I'm not concerned with those who might question the validity of a "Gnostic witch", as I don't see the two as being mutually exclusive, nor do I require permission for my gnosis.

In a totally unrelated note, I read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series for the first time last week. I have to say that I loved it, and absolutely recommend it. I hear they're making the first book into a movie. James Bond, aka Daniel Craig, is going to be in it. Innnnteresting.

No comments:

Post a Comment