Sunday, September 23, 2007

All Ur Gnosis R Belong To Us?

I was reading this thread over at the Palm Tree Garden forums. The basic thrust of the thread is a discussion about the elitism found in ancient Gnostic texts, and WTF is up with the whole holier-than-thou-I-know-something-you-don't-know attitude that winds it's way through a number of the Gnostic texts, to varying degrees, like a tarnished string of pearls.

While reading some of the thoughts expressed I had some thoughts of my own about how I felt (which I wrote down), mostly whereas it relates to who has access to this whole gnosis thing. Is it reserved only for an elite few, or is it indeed like an apple on the eternal tree of life? Here's some of what I wrote down as I was thinking about these issues:

"I think everyone is capable of gnosis. Everyone can, but not everyone will in any given lifetime. The Spark of the Divine within us all (and I think it is within us all with varying levels of intensity [the Inner Fire must be stoked until it consumes the Material]) guarantees our place in the Pleroma, but given the nature of the earthly "reality", there is a process that must be fulfilled. The key to the exit. In the fullness of time everyone will make their way through the Labyrinth (the Unknowable has unknowable patience) like a trickle of water from a fountain. What does it mean when most souls have returned to the Pleroma, and less and less are left in the Labyrinth? End of the world(s) perhaps? I think the world(s) will exist only long enough for all Divine Sparks to return to the Pleroma. Once that occurs, the purpose of the world(s) will cease and there will only remain the Pleroma."

Whereas it concerns the seemingly elitist ideas in the texts, I think it is critical to remember that while gnostically inspired, the texts are still made by man and are thus capable of, if not rife with, flaws. The key is to use that old gnosis stuff and determine what is of value and what is irrelevant in the bigger picture. The problem with that is the end result can be very subjective, but I think some intents or themes are common enough that most can recognise them for what they are and regard them accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment