Saturday, February 23, 2008

Biblio

I got a copy of "The Other Bible", edited by Willis Barnstone, today. It's in the same vein as "The Gnostic Bible", edited by Barnstone and Marvin Meyer, which is not surprising. There is a wider net cast by Barnstone here, in that he includes Jewish, Christian, and Pagan sources along with the Gnostic elements.

I'm not deeply into it as of yet, but it looks promising. I was actually looking for Bentley Layton's "The Gnostic Scriptures", but I didn't find it in the local bookstore. I did see a copy of Robinson's "Nag Hammadi Library", but I was more interested in some of the content of "The Other Bible". I might be interested in said Robinson book in the future as it is. I was surprised to find anything overtly Gnostic at all, in all honestly. I suppose you do find a gem every now and then.

As for whether it was worth the investment, I suppose that remains to be seen, but I think it will be. I still have "The Gnostic Bible" to get through before I really jump into it, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment